Sunday, July 1, 2012

BC Bike Race Day 1

BC Bike Race 7 Day mountain bike stage race South-West BC Day 1 Cumberland: 3hrs 14mins Well we had a great start. We lined up at the start line in downtown Cumberland not knowing any of our competition and excited to get out on the trails. There were teams from South Africa, Belgium, Australia, and Canada that all looked like strong contenders. Out of the 500 riders at the start line, there were people from 33 different countries around the world all ready to experience some of the best trails and mountain biking in the world .... the atmosphere and excitement was there! I was racing with a friend Jim this year in the team of 2 open mixed category and we had a great start to the week! We came in first place today. Cumberland was my favourite day in this race when I last did it back in 2009 and I think it will be my favourite again this time, but it is only day 1 and there have been some new locations added since last time I did it. I hear Campbell River has some great riding and that is where we are headed tomorrow. Cumberland has such a great trail network and a bit of everything. We were blessed with the most perfect riding temp weather today - overcast and about 18 degrees. The sun showed its face for about 5 mins and that proved to be much too hot so we were glad for it not to last. I think this is the only time ever that I will pray for no sun for the next 7 days to keep it cooler! But yes I would take sun any day over the pouring rain! So each day they have 2 timed downhill section thats called the 'Gravity Enduro'. And each day the fastest female and the fastest male take the win and are awarded the green race plates for the next day. I knew I had a battle on my hands with Wendy Simms (who is winning the solo women's category) and I managed to take the win today and be the fastest female on the downhill (but only by 4 secs), so I am sure there will be a battle each day between Wendy and I but was stocked to take the title for day 1! Campbell River tomorrow! I will try and add pics and vid later....its time for bed now that the fireworks are over!

No comments: