Friday, July 6, 2012

Day 6 BC Bike Race Squamish

Well got to bed a little too late last night after the flight off grouse, then dinner, then repacking for the final 2 days then a full body massage (oh boy did that feel sensational!).

Up early to drive to Squamish (after Todd cooked me pancakes and eggs - thanks Todd!), I was feeling tied and thought maybe my body got tricked going home thinking that all this riding was finally over!  But the day ended up being unreal!  I knew this course extremely well and I remember suffering on it very badly last time I did BC Bike race back in 2009.  But today I felt the opposite.  It was like I hadn't been racing the last 6 days ... what?? I don't get it - but will take it. Felt strong and the course was so much fun. The sun was shining the trails were in amazing condition and there was a beer garden at the finish line!  What more could you ask for!

We came in 3hrs 23mins today, about 15mins faster then we thought we would and extended our lead with the yellow jersey even more.  Wendy has about a 45 second lead overall for the females over me for the enduro timed downhill sections so will have to see how today's times shape up with one last day tomorrow - but it looks like she might take the win on this - such great competition to have her to battle with!!
Oh today was funny - the first timed downhill - a guy jumped right in front of me before it started - so I think, ok he must be fast and didn't want to be behind me - and well he was pretty good for the first part, but I was on his wheel for a while then asked to pass several times, towards the bottoms after some hasseling and loosing valuable time of not being able to go faster being stuck behind him, he finally lets me by. We get to the bottom and I look back to kinda say - what the heck was that not letting me past and his comment was 'I didn't want to get past by a girl'!!!  Well at least he was honest ;)  He was pretty chill and said nice riding and then apologized when I said I was trying to take first place female and he was holding me up, but I still laugh that he actually didn't want to let me past because he didn't want to get chicked!!

Pics for the day are still to come.

No comments: