Friday, July 6, 2012

Day 5 BCBR Sunshine Coast

Today was going to be a shorter day - yippee!
40kms and 3hrs 15'ish mins.  I know the trails in this area pretty well and I also knew the last 10kms decent into the finish line pretty well - we just had to get past all the climbing to get to this descent!!

Roll out start and we start climbing pretty much immediately.  Wasn't quite strong enough and we got pushed a little too far to back.  But we kept the climbing legs pushing as much as they could and was actually enjoying the trails we were on for the climb.  Feeling pretty good and the motivation was high knowing we had 28km less distance then yesterday!  So we hit the final 7-10km descent that took us right to the finish line at the ferry terminal.  We were aiming to catch the earliest ferry possible as this took us back to mainland and meant I could go spend the night back home in my own bed!  The last timed enduro descent started at the top of the last downhill - we kick it off not knowing how long the timed section would be and I look up and see a trail lined with riders ahead of me .... shit....I was going to get caught behind way too many people on this one. I try my best to slowly get by them one by one and probably pass around 15-20 people. But this timed section was never going to end!!!  I finally get out in front of the pack and have a NZ chick on my wheel, she was loving following me down since I knew the trail and she could follow my lines - we yahoo'd and cheered at the fun of the trail and chat along as we make our way down.  We reach the bottom and yep that was the end of the timed section .... holey long one!  23mins long in fact. Would love to have known what time I could have done with a clear trail of no other riders on it!  We made the 12.30pm ferry and was stoked to see that the bike mechanics were able to shuttle my vehicle to the finish line for me, so we were straight on the ferry to head home.

The day wasn't over just yet though. Got home, unpacked, cleaned bike, got bike all tuned up and ready to go for the last 2 days at John Henry Bikes (thanks Dave), did laundry and then was straight up to Grouse to see my man and get a beautiful paraglide in ;)  What a day!

Pics from the day:








No comments: