Monday, July 6, 2009

Day # 7 and Wrap Up - BC Bike Race

Day 7 was true punishment - but with relief I didn't have to completely distroy myself. With Karen now out of the race, the next girl back was a few hours. I still pushed hard - how could you not be working hard when off the start line we had a 45min+ head to the handlebar climb - part hike a bike - that you dreaded to look up as all your would see was more hill !
The sun was shinning strong and it was heating up. Some fun downhill in the middle around Cheakamus River and then back to head to the handlebar up Highline trail where focus had to be on otherwise your back wheel would slip on the steep loose gravel road and you would be hiking the bike again. Into Tunnel Vision, with a fun rockface rolling drop into more cool single track down to our last 2km pavement climb to do our final descent of the 7 days into Whistler Creekside.
For was was meant to be a relative short day of 30km, with the elevation gains it still took 2hrs 40mins. It was quite amusing getting some comments from other riders during the day. They would come by me asking if I was ok and if maybe I had a flat tire or something (eg really asking why was I riding slow today and that I shouldn't be back in the pack with them !!) ha ha - I guess as mentioned above I didn't have to truly push it today - just played it safe to cross the line to keep 1st place :)

Thanks to all following for the week.
Will see what photos I can find that were taken and post sometime this week.

Overview:
  • Absolutely outstanding organsation from BCBR. The logistics and volunteers that went into this event was mind blowing and it all ran unbelievably smooth
  • Best Day - by far Day # 3 in Cumberland - tons of fast fun single track with no brutle hills
  • Worst Day - by far Day # 4 (Earls Cove to Sechelt), most elevation, hotest day, and coming down off a high from day # 3 !!

No comments: