Friday, July 3, 2009

Day # 6 - BC Bike Race

I am very excited that there is now only 1 day to go!
Today was a fun day, bunch of trails I knew and most of the course I knew so that helped a ton. Start was better then I expected and slightly different route then I thought it was. Some great single track that I haven't ridden in a while and got a clean run on all the long downhills. Then the last 1/4 I was really feeling it. My new plan to make myself eat more didn't work. I pulled apart a powerbar into bit sizes pieces and put under the leg part of my bike shorts so I could nibble at it on the first half of the course to stop the bonking towards the end like the last few days. But to find 10mins into the race it had melted and blended into my shorts from the heat of the day and heat of my skin - no powerbar for me, just 3 gels :(
So yes the last 1/4 was a struggle but all in all, had a good day and kept the pace strong.
Karen came in about 3mins ahead of me (although she is no longer ranked due to her broken frame and only completing half the course yesterday, so was a little more fresh), so I would have been going into tomorrow with about a 10min lead if she was still in. But now I just have to play it safe and finish the course tomorrow to take the win.

I am definitely completing wiped, I feel ok while out on course but afterwards I can barely function!!

Am up in Whistler now, relaxing at a friends house, had a nap, some sushi, washed bike, and will soak in some epson salts and off to bed. Short day tomorrow, only 25km, but about a 1hour steep steep climb off the start, something like 600m elevation in 5km's - ahhhh - but then its all rockin fun after that !

http://www.bcbikerace.com/Media/Blog/
http://www.noronalife.com/blog/?p=339
http://www.facebook.com/inbox/?ref=mb#/profile.php?id=503751095&ref=profile

Megan

No comments: