Sunday, June 28, 2009

Day # 1 - BC Bike Race




What I was hoping to be a home town advantage today didn't turn out quite that way!
Or should I start with saying I won first solo female for day 1 !!!

Straight off the start was a 2km road climb and straight into single track - Equals 400 people trying to funnel into 1 line after 5-10mins from the start. Now my strength is not climbing so I couldn't quite get myself into a good position off the start. So after the funnel and some standing still and walking, we still had approx 30min climb ahead but more chances to pass. I slowly started to warm up and make some moves on people to the top of the first descent called 'severed dick'! Let's just say, if you are not from around this area - then this descent was going to be tough with a lot of scared riders walking their bikes down. But this was my strength, I know this trail well and ride it well, but to find myself stuck behind lines of people walking. I was patient for about 5 mins, then I teamed up with a few Norco Guys and we made our move - calling 'riders up' and 'track' (eg get off the trail if you are walking cause we are coming through !!)
So we managed to stay on our bikes for the entire descent but was much slower then I normally ride it. At the bottom of the first descent and an hour into it, it opened up and the riders started to spread out. Some xc trails and out through the burbs to hit our next climb of Mountain Hwy. This climb is a nice one, open and not so steep.
Time for the second descent and to the finish. I was now in my element - no one in front of me and free awesome fun technical descent to make up for some lost time. After some hoots and cheers down the north shore trail 'Pipeline' I crossed the finish line in 2hrs 12mins and first solo female and received my yellow leaders jersey to wear tomorrow :)
Although I could have been 15mins faster if I had a better start, I was still stoked with day 1 - knowing there is still 6 more days ahead.

I have never ridden any of the trails for day 2-5 so am excited to experience some new stuff of what BC has to offer. I get to stay at home tonight, but am camping it for the next 3 nights, so not sure what updates I can get done, but will keep my facebook status updated. Tomorrow is more then double the distance of today and the biggest for the week at 70km. Expecting about a 4hr 15min time. Lets see what the terrains like though.

Megan

No comments: