Sunday, July 11, 2010

Test of Metal



Ok I know this is a very late blog, 3 weeks late in fact, but its been busy times.

I was all geared for the 67km Test of Metal race this year. I was feeling strong and definitely felt ahead of the game then last year. Although this race is really not my strength in terms of the course, I was aiming to wipe 8 mins off my time and was going for a 3hr 15min time. Placing wasn't a huge deal for me for this event as all the big girls seem to show up for this one (eg current leader of the world cup circuit Catherine Pendral).

I felt I had a great start, much strong climb and good position amongst the 1000's other riders. Into the single track at the top of the pavement climb and smoothly through Jack's trail, that they have seem to bull doze and make it look like a trail hwy, much to my disappointment.

Dead end loop, robs corners, roller coaster were all good and I looked on time at the 1hr mark. Over to the feed zone for the first time through in about 1hr 26mins and head over to 9 mile. The heat was beating down and I was drinking more water then expected, I decided to do a quick stop at the aid station half way up 9 mile - wow what amazing volunteers, they had my bottle filled within 10 secs and a piece of watermelon in my hand on the fly and I got a breath of fresh air. I kept pushing on. No-one around me to work with. I got to the top of 9 mile and last climb of Lava Flow in around 52mins for the climb (was aiming for 48) - I had lost a few minutes but thought my time was still looking good.

I had a clean run down ring rip creek and the plunge - although quite painful. Too much air in the tires and too much air in my shocks - but guess it made for a more efficient climb, so just thought of all those other riders on hard tails and non- tubeless wheels with high pressure and decided to just suck it up !!!

The split on the downhill was 29mins - right on time (from Graham's predictions he gave me!). Although coming back through the feed zone and looking at my overall time, I was stunned and disappointed. I was way off pace, when I thought I was moving along quite nicely. I think I was at a time of 2hrs 54min knowing crumpet was around 30mins. I dig deep and finish as strong as I could, with no one to work with on the final straight stretch out of crumpet woods, finishing in a time of 3hrs and 26min and 7th place.

Slower then last year - I couldn't understand it! but no complains, I felt great, I fueled great, and had clean race. Just wasn't my day. There were many with slower times so it made me feel a little better that maybe it was the heat that got to us? but Brandi that I did beat 2 weeks prior in Pemberton did beat me and got a time of 3hrs and 14mins.... so maybe not ;)

All in all, great race, nice weather, dry course and I guess amongst all the pain, a fun day!

I was super pumped for the next weekend to head up to the yukon for 24hrs of light.

Megan

No comments: